2013 has been a great year at Village Gardens and there is a lot to celebrate! It was a successful growing season at the Seeds of Harmony & New Beginnings Gardens and the Food Works Farm. The Village Market continues to build on its success, offering more options for the community and expanding prepared food items from the deli. The Village Gardens Community Health Workers have also been busy promoting health in their communities. Launching new programming as well, the Village Gardens team laid the foundations for our neighborhood food hub by supporting micro-enterprise projects in food production and food preparation, and assisting these new ventures in accessing marketplaces. In 2013, four gardening families began growing produce for sale on a new plot of land on Sauvie Island through our market garden project, and Rosario, a Village Market employee, started her micro-enterprise tamale business, Playa Del Sur, using the certified kitchen in the market. We provided a outlet for their produce and Rosario’s tamales by creating the Village Gardens Farmers Market, located outside the Village Market in New Columbia. Overall it was a fun and exciting year full of growth at Village Gardens and we want to celebrate all the collective success…with you! So please join Village Gardens for an inspiring opportunity to celebrate and learn about our work to create a more just and healthy food system in Portland. The evening will include food and drink, community participant presentations and an opportunity to join our efforts.
All are welcome to this FREE EVENT
Friday, December 13th, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Village Market, 4632 N Trenton Portland , OR 97203
6:30pm ~ Village Market Open House, Michoacán Dinner
8:00pm ~ Presentation @ New Columbia CEC
· Purchase dinner prepared by Playa Del Sur
· Updates on Village Gardens progress and vision for 2014.
· Inspiring testimonials by Village Gardens participants.
If you would like to pre-order tamales from Playa Del Sur for Holiday Parties or stocking up the freezer, contact Jason Skipton at 971-998-4064
Order by December 10th for pick up at the event December 13th
Information and Training Session, Thursday, November 7th, 2:00-4:00pm
Location: Fountain Room in New Columbia, Meet at the Village Market, 4632 N Trenton St
Download the event flyer: Donor Organizer Invite 2013
From the beginning, Village Gardens has been a strong community-led program, grown out of the vision and commitment of countless community leaders and champions. As we enter our second decade as a program, we are working to change the way we think about funding our work. We have seen time and again the power of community organizing and community-based solutions in addressing the most pressing issues facing the neighborhoods where we work, and we want to leverage that community power to build a broad grassroots philanthropic base for Village Gardens.
To do this we need your help! By becoming a Village Gardens Grassroots Donor Organizer you will help to shift the way that Village Gardens funds its work in the short and long term – growing strong community-based roots, not just in our programming but in our fundraising as well.
What does a donor organizer do?
- Attend an orientation training at Village Garden on Thursday, November 7th, 2:00-4:00pm.
- Work with other organizers to set your own personal fundraising goal and combined group goals (we have no minimum or maximum goals set – this process is about engaging everyone with energy to do what they can!)
- Learn about grassroots donor organizing, practice asking for money, build your own skills as a grassroots fundraiser, build stronger relationships with the Village Gardens community, and help to spread the word about the work that we are doing.
- Each Donor Organizer will be asked to also make an individual meaningful contribution (to be determined by each person) and ask people in your personal networks to join you in doing the same.
Am I really qualified?
- If you believe in Village Gardens and in empowering communities to build a strong, just, community-led food system, you are qualified!
- If you are interested in and passionate about community-based fundraising, you are qualified!
- If you keep hopes high and believe in the basic goodness of people, you are qualified!
- If you know a few people who would be interested in learning more about Village Gardens, you are qualified!
If you have questions or want more information please contact Amber Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-927-0820. If you are ready to sign-up for the Information Session, please RSVP to Amber as well.
Village Gardens is seeking candidates for two positions at the Village Market community corner store project site. Village Market is a community-designed and operated, healthy corner grocery store in the heart of New Columbia in North Portland. As part of the Village Gardens program, Village Market is intended to build community, promote health, offer fresh, healthy, sustainably raised foods, and inspire a sense of hope for the neighborhood.
- Village Market Store Manager - The Store Manager will be responsible for the overall supervision of the Village Market healthy corner grocery store. He or she will have profit and loss responsibility for the store and will be accountable for: planning, financial management, store operations, marketing, and human resource management. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in customer and community relations and grocery store management. The Store Manager will work in partnership with other Agency staff, including administrative staff, and operate in compliance with the Agency’s policies and procedures. Follow this link to the full job posting: Store Manager – Village Market 8-2013.
- Village Market Prepared Foods Manager - The Prepared Foods Manager is responsible for overall daily operations of the Village Market Deli/prepared foods department. This includes staff supervision and scheduling; merchandising, production, product and inventory management; assuring expenditures are within established budget limits; and monitoring sales and margin targets, making any resultant recommendations for change. This position is responsible for monitoring profit and loss for the deli/prepared foods department and promptly reporting when profit/loss is outside of expected limits. The position is also responsible for assuring the deli/prepared food department operates in compliance with all State and local safety and health regulations and assuring the kitchen is clean and orderly. This position works closely with other Village Gardens staff to support a thriving volunteer and community engagement process at the store and works in partnership with other Agency staff, including administrative staff, and to assure operations are in compliance with the Agency’s policies and procedures. Follow this link to the full job posting: Job Posting 9-12-13 Vmkt(1).